Camplet Camper Trailers

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 14, 2010 at 19:37
ThreadID: 81904 Views:13849 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi. We are a family of 5 (3 small kids) who enjoy camping trips in our tent. We have been looking at camper trailers for the extra space, built in kitchen and bed off the ground. We originally were looking at off road models but have now come across a Camplet for sale. I love the fact that it has two beds (a double and a queen) off the ground so the kids can share one while they are small and we can have the other. It also fits into our budget and iis extremely quick to set up. Does anyone have any experience with the Camplets? Would you recommend them? They do seem like a quality product to us. Thanks, Katrina.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Oct 14, 2010 at 19:47

Thursday, Oct 14, 2010 at 19:47
Katrina,

Is this what you are talking about??

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 433040

Follow Up By: wil4kat - Thursday, Oct 14, 2010 at 20:18

Thursday, Oct 14, 2010 at 20:18
Yes. That's the one. We have seen the Concorde model. It's not an off road model but we don't do any serious 4wd stuff.
FollowupID: 703818

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Friday, Oct 15, 2010 at 13:23

Friday, Oct 15, 2010 at 13:23
Hi Katrina, I have no knowledge of the Camplet, but have had a look at the website kindly put up by Doug, & make the following observations...
...10 inch wheels...not since the mini...can you still buy 10" tyres??
...weighs 220 KG....very light...not much metal in that.
...What storage space ? doesnt seem to be much..a 7 by 4 C/t will hold all the
stuff you need for 3 kids..not sure this will & you cant fit much in car with 3 kids.
...European design & build...horror stories exist of such caravans falling apart
under aussie conditions.
...I would suggest the usual box trailer based C/t would be a far better buy.

But by all means have a (good) look at one & see if it suits you.
cheers....oldbaz.
AnswerID: 433118

Reply By: Member - mazcan - Friday, Oct 15, 2010 at 19:48

Friday, Oct 15, 2010 at 19:48
hi
wil4kat

yes i have one and am very happy with it- 2004 model
it's a concorde model not off road but- gvm is 450kg tare is 220kg
i tow it behind my golf diesel and dont even know it's there i get 40.5mpg or 7l/100km's towing it
i've customized mine a bit but havent had any major problems but i did make a heavier tailgate hinge as mine tended to twist slightly when there was a lot of heavy stuff in the kitchen storage area and let a small amount of dust or moisture in past bottom tailgate seal

the latest ones may have had a better hinge put on them but i dont know???

i have done 5.500ks and
it had done over 2.500 th ks adelaide to alice springs and then to kunnunurra and down west coast wa through s/west corner and back to sa with original owner as well
i dont have any small children
you have to carry fridge/ gas bottle and any other extras seperate but they do have a rack on the top for luggage etc
canvass on mine is of very good quality and warm in the wintery weather
quick to set up and cool in summer with flaps open the mattresses are extremily comfortable and several have slept on mine and always commented what a nice sleep they had considering it's only 70mm thick but is very dense european foam

the tyres are availuble they are

" chen shin" trailermaxx tubless steel belted 145R10 36psi rated at 375 kg each
they have shown no signs of structural or tread problems so far and are made in taiwan

the wheel bearings are a common size paralel nylon sealed type and i actually flicked the seals out of mine and packed them with some quaility grease as i have done with every other bearing that i have ever used prior to fitting them as they have bugger all grease in them and it looks like vaseline
and it is sitting on the ball race case not in the ball track when new by the time the bearing gets hot enough to make the gease run into the ball track the bearing is done for
yes basicly a self destruck system to keep the bearing industry revolving with constant sales of new ones
(and before someone chips me i have never damaged a seal removing and refitting it and have literally done dozens of them large and small )with lasting long term service that also saves road side failure
try it u will be amazed how much longer they will last
there may probably be a smorgasboard of nockers who know nothing about the camplet trailers on here
but then thats what this site entails and sometimes makes it more interesting and we have all just about been guilty of that including me with our unqualified comments !
i not trying to influence you in any way just anwering you queiry

it's a hard choice at the best of times trying to choose what suits one best whether it be caravan and/or camper trailer good luck
i got my s/hand std concorde for $9500 if thats any help and in 2004 a new std camplet concorde was $11700.00 you havent said what model it was u looked at but
cheers
AnswerID: 433190

Follow Up By: Berniec - Saturday, Oct 16, 2010 at 07:23

Saturday, Oct 16, 2010 at 07:23
I will also vouch for the Camplet. I have had it for about 12 years and have only recently upscaled to a van. In June 2009 I took it to the Flinders Rangers, Maree, William Creek, back to Maree and then Birdsville, Innamincka Thargominda and Cunnamulla, Bourke and then home. Even went into Haddon Corner. It was a very easy drive. The beauty of the Camplet, apart from the ease of setup and large area under cover, is that it is so light it does not act as an anchor on the tow vehicle. Be aware that the mudguards are plastic and may be damaged by large stones/rocks thrown up by the tyres and the hitch is relatively light construction. As far as ground clearance goes, as long as you are driving on formed roads that are maintained to some extent there should be no problems.
FollowupID: 704080

Follow Up By: wil4kat - Saturday, Oct 16, 2010 at 20:10

Saturday, Oct 16, 2010 at 20:10
Thanks so much for your replies Berniec and Mazcan. It's nice to hear good reviews from people who have owned them for some time. Can you give me an idea Berniec how much the second hand ones sell for? Thanks, Katrina.
FollowupID: 704152

Follow Up By: Berniec - Saturday, Oct 16, 2010 at 20:53

Saturday, Oct 16, 2010 at 20:53
I have not sold mine. Still in the yard because my kids have expressed an interest in using it. There are a couple of agents around Australia as well as Ken (?) in Adelaide. There is also outlets in Grays Point, Sydney and Swan View, Perth. Googling Camplet brings up a few for sale in the $6500-$8500 range. Sorry cant be of more assistance.
FollowupID: 704160

Follow Up By: Member - mazcan - Sunday, Oct 17, 2010 at 13:09

Sunday, Oct 17, 2010 at 13:09
hi wil4kat
if you google
camplet-concorde trailers a large numer of sites come up that should give you a range of imfo
cheers
FollowupID: 704230

Sponsored Links